Ajax Talk - Asynchronous javascript and xml discussion board
 FAQ   Search    Usergroups      Register   Profile   Check your messages   Log in 
Signup now to enjoy a range of free membership advantages !!
Ajax Talk - Moderators Wanted
ajax frameworks - how to choose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ajaxtalk.com Forum Index -> AJAX general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zb0
Light Frequent Poster
Light Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: ajax frameworks - how to choose? Reply with quote

Hi there,

At my company we want to start using ajax. The development process used here is JSF and we need to choose a framework for ajax.

I want to know how to make a good choice. what aspects i have to analise?

For now, the decision has to be between two frameworks, one is JSF4AJAX and the other is DWR.

As our process is JSF i think jsf4ajax would be a nice call. But i'm not sure. Because i have no idea what an ajax framework does.

Has anyone used one of this frameworks? Anyone has any tips about this kind of decision?

Thanks.
Snyke
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently developing myself an application with DWR and I really like the huge amount of functionality that is simply exposed to the Frontend without having any security issues as you can disable every detail. I've not yet seen anything done with JSF4Ajax.
It really depends on the granularity of access you need. In my case we had to directly manipulate a lot of things in the datamodel directly from the interface, thus exporting the access to it was crucial, while others might prefer a slightly different approach.
Anyway I'm going to take a look at JSF4Ajax later this evening and if something nice comes up I''l write it down ^^
zb0
Light Frequent Poster
Light Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnx for that man Wink
as soon as i have the oportunity i'll do the same!
Snyke
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just took a look at Ajax4JSF and I have to say that it looks a bit too complicated and not really direct, it is focused more on updating of parts of pages and not remoting a Serverside application.
I personally prefer DWR, it's less of a presentation based Framework, it's more function based.
If you "just" want to refresh asynchronously parts of a page then Ajax4JSF might be what you are looking for, for communication between Frontend-Javascript and Serverside Java DWR is the best choice ^^
zb0
Light Frequent Poster
Light Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snyke wrote:
Well I just took a look at Ajax4JSF and I have to say that it looks a bit too complicated and not really direct, it is focused more on updating of parts of pages and not remoting a Serverside application.
I personally prefer DWR, it's less of a presentation based Framework, it's more function based.
If you "just" want to refresh asynchronously parts of a page then Ajax4JSF might be what you are looking for, for communication between Frontend-Javascript and Serverside Java DWR is the best choice ^^

Thanks man!
You really helped a lot!
Snyke
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the end, what did you go for? It's always interesting to see why people decided one way or another. It might help in future decisions.
zb0
Light Frequent Poster
Light Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we'll probably stick with ajax4jsf because we already have structure for communication between Frontend-Javascript and Serverside Java

There will be a reunion friday and after it i'll post the result here! =)

but i'll continue to study them both.

tnx!
zb0
Light Frequent Poster
Light Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about dojo?
anyone recomends it?

http://www.dojotoolkit.org/

can it be integrated with jsf?
Snyke
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote my first tutorial on how to use the Dojo Toolkit and I have to say that I was impressed by how modular it is built. After some initial problems with the module loading it was easy to work with it. But after all I prefer Prototype.

It is a Server-Independent library and therefore it shouldn't be too hard to use it with JSF, but it also means that there are no advantages, no specific bindings for JSF.
zb0
Light Frequent Poster
Light Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snyke wrote:
I wrote my first tutorial on how to use the Dojo Toolkit and I have to say that I was impressed by how modular it is built. After some initial problems with the module loading it was easy to work with it. But after all I prefer Prototype.

It is a Server-Independent library and therefore it shouldn't be too hard to use it with JSF, but it also means that there are no advantages, no specific bindings for JSF.

Snyke! Thanks again! you helped a lot during the decision process.
The meeting just happened, and for now we will start with Dojo because it is more intuitive and i think that for begginers it is a good way to start getting in touch with ajax. (i'll read you tutorial)

About the two frameworks i had to study, i think that today DWR would be better because it is being more used and it has more functions then Ajax4JSF but in some years i think Ajax4JSF will have more integration for our systems since they're develop in JSF and that probably will be a nice combination.

In the time line, for our systems, i think Dojo will stay the same thing, it will help but not bring specific bindings, DWR will get a little better, and Ajax4JSF will rock.

I hope pretty sooner i can become able to pass others ajax knowledge just as you passed me.

Thanks a lot!
cya!
ajaxria
New one
New one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just browser a framewok from ajaxpatterns, which has a perfect OO model.
Here ,
Idea
http://www.linb.net .
________
buy vapor genie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ajaxtalk.com Forum Index -> AJAX general discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: